Sunday, July 3, 2011

Social Sensory Issues

So, sensory issues.  I think it's a given that I can barely look people in the eyes.  I guess one on one I'm find with people I know, but when in groups or with people I don't know.  Even then, sometimes I keep my eyes in close proximity of the person, but not in their eyes most of the time.  That's a problem.  And this is expected in social interaction.  In fact, in the world we live in, it's imperative.

Being around people isn't so much a problem.  I can walk into a Walmart and look around a lot.  I hang out in the electronics section a lot.  I don't particularly like being asked if someone can help me.  If I want help with something, I'll ask, thank you.

I've had jobs in the past where I had to interact with people and that's an issue, especially with customers.  That was totally a bad move on my part, taking that job.  But I may have said it in a past post, but I didn't have a diagnosis of such for AS, so I thought I could do it.  In fact I was using it as a way to get data entry experience for a desk job.  I now have 4 years experience for that, now, so hopefully that wasn't such a bad move after all.  Anyways, the crowds, the larger they were the worse they were.  It became more exhausting to talk to people.  I talked as little as necessary or less than necessary (more appropriately).  I got worse and worse at the job, because with all the sensory issues, I just didn't even want to try anymore.

Here's another problem.  I have this female friend that I've known for a good chunk of my life that has been there for me at times and I'm glad she was and still is, but she likes to "try" to make me smile.  She knows I have AS.  I've told her on more than a couple occasions that I'm not comfortable with being poked and prodded several times or tickled.  I don't care if she wasn't married and I was looking at her as a gf, I just don't like that.

Once I get used to people I can take a hug once in a while.  I guess in that sense I'm like a cat, if I want it, I'll let you know.  Otherwise, leave me be.  I need my space.

In the end if I get too much of any of these social sensory issues, I need a nap or something.  Frankly, it's exhausting.

No comments:

Post a Comment