Monday, November 7, 2011

Overthinking

As aspies we tend to over think a lot of things, don't we?  Does this person like me?  Do they not like me?  Did I say something wrong?  I'm confused by the signals this person is sending.  Or is this person not sending me any signals at all?  Was she/he being sarcastic just now?  What does that mean?  What does this mean?

It's tiring.  I've had to sort through a lot of these, it occurred to me.  It's a classic thought process of all the over thinking that aspies typically do.  And again I confront myself with the "yes, I do do these aspie things."  We ask these questions to ourselves.  We weigh things out.  We analyze the context of everything.  And we end up still with so much doubt.

Some of us have learned to ask outright what is meant.  Some of us, like me, have decided that silence is the best policy, because you're supposed to know by NT standards and it would just seem too embarrassing to ask.  "Mind blindness" was something brought up in the movie "Adam."  I think what all that was was that Adam, from the movie, has to ask out right what a person is thinking or feeling, because the person didn't want to keep wondering.  An NT can tell certain things from looks on their faces, audio clues given in inflection in another person's voice, situation, and other body language.  It's just not so simple.  I mean, I may see things and I may hear things, but my mind often questions whether I'm wrong or right.  I've done this all my life as far back as I can remember.  I don't ask, because I've been wrong so many times, so long ago, that the embarrassment just hasn't been worth going through to find out.

I guess just knowing my diagnosis that in the very least, without necessarily out right saying "I'm mildly austistic," I can just say that I'm just a confused person that needs stuff pointed out to me more bluntly.  At least with me knowing this about myself, I can ask in just the right way without being too embarrassed.

No comments:

Post a Comment