Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Hold Your Wiimotes Skyward!

Ok, I just made it to the front of my first dungeon.  I haven't gone through it, but I've fought map battles, learned to fly on the back of a bird, and completed my first task of finding 4 kikwis.  Therefore I think I'm in the position to make at least a small judgement on the game thus far.

The biggest thing of all is the controls.  Gamespot.com did a real disservice to fans by giving it a 75.  It's a terribly inconsistent score with all the other reviews out there being 90s to 10s.  An inconsistent score usually is a bad indicator on the reviewer or reviewers, because obviously they're not doing something right.  In this case it seems they were judging it based on the controls.  First Link's responses to your swings and other such actions with the motion controller are near perfection.  However there is just one flaw.  It's precise to a fault.  This means that when you swing your sword and it doesn't go precisely the direction you planned, that you were a little off.  That's just a little off, not a lot.  The margin of error is there.  However, this being the first little bit that I played, I think I need more practice.  My biggest problem with the controls was flying.  Flying is not explained well and could have used a pictorial or video segment on how to gain altitude.  I had a rough time getting my bird to flap its wings.  Shaking the remote doesn't do it.  Neither does flapping your arms with the nunchuck or wiimote.  >.o  It's not something I can explain, but when I did get it right, I finally finished the race in the beginning.

For the most part the controls are very intuitive, take practice, but altogether work well.  This is the first time Nintendo has truly shown off what the wiimote should be about.  It takes full use of it and does it right and with style.

The graphics look like something ripped from a Disney cartoon.  Literally, when I look at much of the graphics, the faces and etc, I think Disney.  The detail is very nice, but not even a close look and you can notice that they were really trying to do the best they could with the limited hardware.  Jut think what it could have looked like if the Wii had better hardware.  All in all though, the art is very admirable and the best the system has shown so far.

The story takes a different direction, but as this is a Zelda game, there really isn't much to say about it.  It's all about the puzzles and how fun it is.  Nothing more.  Other features are your typical Zelda fare things, such as a bow and arrow, sling shot, and many more, along with a few new ones that I have yet to see in the game for myself.

This is a great Zelda title and gets my high adoration.  Good job, Nintendo!

No comments:

Post a Comment