Thursday, October 6, 2011

RIP Steve Jobs

As everyone knows by now, Steve Jobs died yesterday at the age of 56, due to pancreatic cancer.  I have my iPhone and although the iPad seems to look and work to me like nothing more than a big iPod/iPhone, it greatly shaped the tablet industry.  I personally think android is better suited for tablets and there is a lot more the iPad could do.  But thanks to Steve Jobs being a leader in the industry computers, phones, portable computing, portable music, music sales(iTunes).  And as an aspie that admires the tech industry, I thus admire the leaders in that industry, whether it be Apple, Google, or Microsoft.

In the days of Napster and mp3s being shared illegally on a large scale the music industry started to sink.  They were not open to the idea of online music sales.  MP3 players played CDs converted to the MP3 format to carry any songs you wanted on the go, while CDs only carried a limited amount of songs.  Steve Jobs saw opportunity in this.  He offered record labels the chance to make up their lost sales by selling music online in digital downloadable form.  In conjunction with this online distribution service known as iTunes, Steve created the iPod, a portable device like the MP3 players on the market, but better.  Many people have collections of CDs lining their walls and all that could be stored on these devices that used miniature hard drives.  Of course I had nearly 2,000 songs from CDs and (cough)file sharing(cough cough).  The price was decent for the music, but the copy protection was complicated.  Fortunately the copy protection no longer exists.  Music is my life.  I love listening to any song I want, anywhere I want.  There just was no better way to have and play my music.  I love you, Steve Jobs, for introducing record companies to digital age of distribution.

The tech world will greatly miss him and those who he inspired along the way will surely miss him, too.  May you rest in peace, Steve Jobs.  The world thanks you.

No comments:

Post a Comment