Friday, April 6, 2012

Old 16-bit Era RPGs

You have to admit RPGs aren't like they used to be.  I like a lot of the new ones.  They're great, but there are a lot of old ones that I never got around to playing.  8-bit, 16-bit, and even some of the 32-bit generation games.  Turn based RPGs may be a thing of the past.  Though, they may come back in new forms like console or even windows downloads, it's great to check them out all over again.  I never did get to really play many of the old Final Fantasies of the 16-bit days.  I'm reliving that with Final Fantasy 5.  I want to get 6, too eventually.  Another game I'm playing on my 3DS is the DS version of Chrono Trigger.  Both of these old RPGs are bringing me back.

There are so many, I could probably play them for a long time to come.  I could never finish them all while keeping up with the new.  Yeah.  There's enough to last me a lifetime, now.  Secret of Mana, though action oriented, is an RPG that I'd truly like to get into again as well.  Also there is Secret of Evermore.  I haven't checked, but I'm hoping that I can get that as a Wii download.

The Phantasy Star series is another series I'd love to take a stab at.  I did beat the third one and as a matter of fact I have that and the fourth installment on Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection for my PS3.  Don't forget the Dragon Quest series as well.  I remember the first one, known as Dragon Warrior, and there have been many since then.  Wow.  Just thinking of all of them that I could play, makes my head explode.

If your into all this RPG nostalgia your best bet is to get a DS or 3DS and play many that were ported onto the DS.  Or get them on the Wii.  Nintendo's got many.  Even the Playstation Network has some old ones that were previously ported to the Playstation 1.

Don't forget to save your game.

No comments:

Post a Comment