Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Ranma 1/2 Live Action?

I guess I'm a little late at finding out about this since this was reported on ANN last year and the movie aired on Japanese TV in December.  But of course no word on an American release just yet.  That didn't stop me from finding a subbed version, not that I am endorsing using torrent sites or anything. >.>

Anyways, I've been getting back into Ranma 1/2 in the last few months and just started watching the show from the beginning, not long ago.  The thought occurred to me "What if this was live action?  What would it be like?"  And I just typed in "Ranma Live Action" into Youtube, not expecting much more than a fan made short.  Boy was I surprised to learn that one existed and was just shown in December.  What a coincidence.

Most of it is pretty much what you'd expect from Ranma, but there are some changes along the way that I was kind of fine with.  These changes weren't anything drastic and didn't change the characters much.  They still behaved in much the same way as always.  I think the biggest complaint would be the lack of Ryoga Hibiki, Shampoo, Ukyou (my personal favorite), and other side characters.  The ones they did include were Dr. Tofu, who is pretty much the school doctor as opposed to a regular doctor.  And of course we have Kuno (nothing different about him here).  There's also the character Gosunkugi.  He is not one I'm all that familiar with.

I've never seen all of the Ranma series before.  Previously the most I've seen were, at first, random episodes scattered through maybe 3 seasons and then there's the first whole season that my brother picked up on DVD quite a while back and now I have my own copy.

All in all, if you are a die hard fan maybe you'd prefer skipping it, if you're really nit picky about changes, but since this doesn't change anything drastic, I don't think most fans will mind.  It's still the same Ranma...just with real people.  So, if you wondered what it would be like as a live action movie, then definitely check into it....but um, try to avoid torrent sites.  Wait for the American release, if and when it gets here. =P


No comments:

Post a Comment