Thursday, December 8, 2011

Bethesda's Open World Games Not As Bad As I Thought

I had played Obvlivion and Fallout 3 previously.  I got rid of Oblivion awhile back, because I felt there was way too little direction, but now I'm realizing that the fun was finding it, but it's gone now.  Then later knowing that Fallout 3 was a big deal among the most popular open world RPGs.  I happened to love the idea of a full open world where I can go anywhere to explore.

I gave up on Fallout 3, but I couldn't really sell it, so it sat on a shelf for maybe 2 years.  What happened was that I ended up facing enemies that I could neither fight nor could I avoid.  I was so frustrated by the difficulty and confusion of this game and Oblivion that I refused to play any more games by Bethesda.  But earlier this week, I thought about giving Fallout 3 another chance.  Something entered my mind that maybe I wasn't meant to go too close to the areas where I couldn't fight.  I thought, maybe the quest wasn't in that area or that I should try doing something else.  That seemed to be the case.

I went back and restored a save that I backed up.  I was backing up saves from games that were left over on my computer and it's backup drive.  I started to follow more closely to what my missions were and where they were.  No problems this time.  I have run into some rough enemies, but I avoided them after trying again.  Uh oh, I shouldn't have gotten back into the game.  I started playing it for hours at a time.  It's positively addictive.  Now I can't stop.  Fortunately that's not entirely true.  It had postponed my normal lunch time a couple times, but I said to myself, "No!  I know you know what you can do next and how much you want to continue, but you need nourishment.  This could be a bad addiction if I let it."

Anyway, I've turned around on Bethesda's RPGs.  I will be getting better parts for my computer someday and when I do I will probably play Skyrim.  My computer can handle it as it is, but it doesn't have quite the recommended video card is all.  It's not a big thing.  They recommend a ATI HD Radion 4870 and I have a 4850 with 1GB of video ram.  Other than that my computer exceeds the recommended specs.

Anyway, I gave this company's games, in this case Fallout 3, a second chance and now I'm totally getting it.  Hunting for items for money was hard at first, too.  I can't forget to mention that that was a big concern of mine when playing those games as well.  But I'm getting the hang of it and loving it.

No comments:

Post a Comment