Thursday, August 25, 2011

EARTHQUAKE

So, I live in northern PA far from the epicenter of the 5.8 magnitude earthquake that shook much of the eastern coast.  I was on the porch and I felt the porch move in a circular type shake motion and I looked around for a second, thinking a kid was shaking the porch, but I realized that wasn't even possible, especially how much it shook.  I'm not saying it was much, but it was certainly not a big truck or anything like that.  Far from it.  I look over at my mom and ask "What's that?" and she didn't seem to know what I was talking about till she felt it herself.  They said on tv that it lasted about 20 seconds, but I don't remember it being that long, but it sure could have been several seconds, now that I think about it.

I get on my iPhone after sitting there for awhile and I see on facebook that several of my friends experienced the quake and I see news posts, so I went and turned on CNN.  People had evacuated buildings and such.  Now I know I wasn't there and they have to be careful that nothing worse comes along, but this quake wasn't too bad.  There was some damage to a monument.  There was damage to two water pipes at the pentagon.  Over all we fared pretty well over here.  So Californians think that's nothing and they're right, because they're used to them and we aren't.  The thing is we're in a different situation.  We don't get very many here, so naturally we're going to be a little anxious about it and many people are afraid because they remember what Japan just went through earlier this year.  I can see why someone would be anxious and I have anxiety that goes along with my Aspergers.  I didn't feel anxious.  Actually I was kind of interested and intrigued by the earthquake.  And so this comes along just before the upcoming hurricane.  So we have people on an e-mail group joking about the end of the world.  To some people that's no joke, but to them I say, if you believe these are the signs written about, think about over the years what people went through.  Economic trials, big storms, earthquakes.  Nothing new about all this really.  We snap back to where we were eventually.  It's just going to come back and go away.  It's kind of like a cycle, really.  I'm not worried.  The only thing I think about is what Japan went through and how they were struck much harder and we have it easy and people are worried over nothing, even if I do understand how they may feel.

This is the strongest tremor I've felt in my life, but again I wasn't worried.  It was sort of a curious thing to me to feel that.

No comments:

Post a Comment