Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Sony Press Event 2013

As you know by now, It's official Playstation 4 will be available.  Not only that, but it won't be next year.  It will be this year during the holidays.  My guess is that it will be soon before black Friday.  Unfortunately I did not hear the official pricing on the stream.  Rumor has it that the costs will be $429 and $529 depending on which package.  What that includes will likely be hard drive space or maybe in even included peripherals.

The new controller will include all the same that was on the Dual Shock 3, but in addition will have a share button for sharing videos of your gaming with your friends online.  A touch pad will be at the top center.  Also a light bar to indicate which player you are.  This light bar will also be used with another peripheral that is a new enhanced camera, that looks much like Microsoft's Kinect.

Again you will be able to share footage of your games with your friends.  There will be more emphasis on community, you could say.  Your Playstation 2 and 3 back library can be accessible through the cloud.  My understanding is that with today's high speed internet, it will be much like playing OnLive, a service which feeds you video, while your console does little work.  This is Sony's answer to backwards compatibility.  You WILL be able to play all your old games in this fashion.

The games they showed were quite impressive to say the least.  First of all just to show it's capabilities, the rendering allows for full expression and high textures to give a more realistic feel and be much more the quality of a CG movie you might see.  The games that I am most interested in are inFamous: Second Son and Watch Dogs.  I'm a big fan of the inFamous series, so this game is a must for me, so I guess that even though there wasn't much in the way of gameplay to be shown, I might be biased here.  Watch Dogs is great.  I want to say it may be a little like Grand Theft Auto on a grand scale with Sci-Fi.  You hack into anything, people's phones, cameras, ATMs, and any known grid that runs just about anything in the city.

I hope this wets everyone's appetites for E3 this year.  I will try and save what I can for a PS4, but it is likely that I'll stay away from it for quite some time as there are still plenty of games on the PS3 and shortages will be likely, if not inevitable.  That and I'm saving to move out within the next 6 to 9 months.  Peace!

No comments:

Post a Comment