Thursday, November 29, 2012

The Problem With Horror Movies Lately

I see so many problems with horror movies today.  I'm a big fan of these films, but the biggest problem is that they aren't scary.  They try to explain off everything as to what's happening and why it happens and blah blah.  Come on folks, leave us some mystery.  Leave us something to the imagination.  Don't show the bad guy.  That's one way to scare.  Paranormal Activity did a great job leaving things to your imagination.  That movie scared me.

The found footage type films are quite possibly the scariest most eerie things to me.  I mean, you can't see a demon.  You see all this weir activity.  It's all subtle, except for PA 3, which wasn't so subtle.  I've kinda lost faith in Paranormal Activity since the 3rd one, because of that.  I'll probably watch 4, anyway, though.

And the monsters aren't freaky enough to me, if they do show them.  If you want to show something scary, you might as well go all out and hire some crazy artists.  There is plenty of crazy looking artwork out there on the internet.  These people may even be waiting to be hired for this reason alone.  Hire them to desire some scary monsters.

I'd also like to see a move to more practical  special effects instead of doing so many things in CG animation.  CG doesn't look tangible.  It's like Who Framed Roger Rabbit, trying to put in something that so far away from looking real, that it's laughable and you can't take it seriously.  I'd really wish they'd go with 80s special effects and I'm sure by now that those type of effects could more easily look better in today's movies than in the 80s.  At least those creatures looked like they were really there.

No comments:

Post a Comment