Wednesday, December 3, 2014

People who hear the opposite of what is said...

I'm sure I'm not the only one that this has happened to, but I have had people online or offline completely miss my point.  This... needs to stop.  A little background to show an example of what I mean.  I had attempted to defend someone's right to mention or talk just a little bit on a religious belief they were in.  I know I'm not the best at words at times, but what I really said boiled down to "Stop being intolerant and let the person believe what they do or did.  Don't  judge.  Just keep certain negative comments yo yourself."

I can't say exactly what I typed.  I don't have record of it.  But this person went off and left, saying I was an intolerant atheist to which I had no idea what she was talking about.  I too am a believer.  This person clearly wasn't a troll.  They just were so mad that they didn't bother to read it and understand it.  I could only guess that they skimmed it and clearly didn't comprehend it, because they missed so much just by seeing a few words.  

Really this person and another just let their anger keep them from even trying to understand.  

So here's what ypu SHOULD do to avoid being unnecessarily angry.

1) Do NOT react immediately.  Biggest mistake.

Doing this causes a lot of friction.  Whether or not something bad was intended you start or continue an argument.  You can't just assume the other person is going to get the point.  The other person is going to fight back.  Right or wrong.  The other thing is that if you're angry then you can't think clearly anyway.

2) Read and reread (or listen).  Try to understand the other person's point of view.

3). Ask questions, if you're confused.  Even if you don't think you are, ask anyway.  

Anyway, my point is that it just disturbs me that people flat out react or do that while beleiving they heard or read the opposite of what's said.

Try to understand before you go nuclear.

No comments:

Post a Comment