Thursday, March 24, 2011

Aspergers and Computer Paranoia

As a person with aspergers, I know some of us experience anxiety or depression along side out aspergers diagnosis.  Many of us are even the geeky type that are into electronics and such.  I'm no exception.  Meltdowns, also a part of aspergers, occur when things go wrong with them.

Just yesterday I wanted to throw my laptop down the stairs, because it was freezing everything up and for some reason it had to do with either or both AOL instant Messenger or Windows Live Messenger.  Anyways, instead of trying to figure out the problem, I immediately exited out of them when they loaded up during startup of the computer and then uninstalled them altogether.  Now I'm using Meebo.com for all my instant messages.  It seems to work better for me.  Anyways, that's just one occurrence.

My first computer, I'd band on the side of the machine with my first and the thing was as solid as, well... metal.  I bent the side of it all out of shape to the point that after I was done fixing problems inside I couldn't get it back on right, not that it was that easy to put back on to begin with.

I swear at electronics.  I cursed them out loud to let them know that I was their lord and master and they do what I say, because I paid for them and that I see them as my slave.  Little do I know they are making me their slave.

Paranoia enters our minds, those that have anxiety issues, and we think that if we have a problem with the computer, "there goes more money" or "there goes all my saved data" (make sure you back up, btw).  But this is really catastrophic thinking.  It comes down like a landslide.  "What if this continues to happen every time I own a computer?"  Just learn and accept that it can and it will.  And by the way, learn what brands are the best.  (I found Gateway to be to my liking.)  I am currently doing better with a big name brand right now and even with the troubles I've had I'm doing much better.  There's no such thing as a perfect piece or technology.  If we can accept this, then we can reduce our meltdowns.

What we all need to learn is that meltdowns are no good, leave it alone for a little while, come back and fix it.  You'll feel much better if you don't react to them like that.  It's not the end of the world, if it quits working.  They are fixable.  You can put away money to fix or replace them or you can learn to fix them on your own like I usually try to do and it works for me.

Many NTs and, I guess, even some Aspies, don't even like computers and gadgets.  It's the day and age, I guess.  I usually presume that aspies are computer people, but really we are all diverse, NT or not.

No comments:

Post a Comment